#AgDayAU Bake Off
2020 #AgDayAU Bake Off
This year, on National Agriculture Day, we're asking people all over the country to get involved in National Agriculture Day (AgDay) by joining the #AgDayAU Bake Off!
Whip up a country classic, the lamington, for your chance to be crowned the 2020 #AgDayAU Bake Off Champion!
Find our recommended recipe below and get baking!
Use our recommended lamingtons recipe below, or of course, use your own personal favourite!
Makes: 24 | Prep time: 40 minutes |Cooking time: 40 minutes
250g butter, at room temperature, chopped
1½ cups caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
2½ cups self-raising flour
2 tbsp cornflour
1 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
½ cup milk
2 cups icing sugar
2 tbsp cocoa powder
90g soft butter
1 tsp vanilla essence
5 tbsp hot water
3 cups desiccated coconut
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C (fan forced). Grease a large rectangular tin (31cm x 21cm x 4.5cm deep, base measurement) and line the base with baking paper, hanging over the two long sides.
2. Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until pale. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla essence.
3. Sift the flour, cornflour, baking powder and salt into the butter mixture, and add the milk. Fold together until evenly combined. If it seems too thick, add a little bit more milk. Spread into the tin and smooth the surface.
4. Bake for 40 minutes, until it springs back to a gentle touch in the centre (or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean).
5. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
6. For the icing, sift the icing sugar and cocoa powder into a large bowl. Add the butter and vanilla, then pour hot water, a little at a time, onto the butter to melt it. Stir until smooth and runny.
7. Lay the cake on a sheet of baking paper, and cover the top with icing. Sprinkle with coconut. Lay a sheet of baking paper over the iced surface and quickly turn the cake over. Ice and sprinkle coconut on the other side.
8. Cut into lengths about 5cm wide. Ice the cut sides and sprinkle with coconut. Cut each length into cubes. Ice the cut sides and sprinkle with coconut. Leave to set.